Saturday, August 18, 2007

Successful...and not so successful


First, the successful adventure this week:

I found a great recipe this week for beef stroganoff. It's cheap and very easy, hence the name "cheap and easy beef stroganoff". I always love a good recipe that's fast, so ... here ya go! It was really yummy. We had it over pasta. Speaking of which ... I love whole wheat pasta, and that's pretty much all we eat. However...has anyone else noticed how spaghetti and angel hair whole wheat gets a weird texture when you cook it? We really like all of the other noodles in whole wheat, and they taste very normal. But, spaghetti and angel hair get a strange texture and sort of just break apart as you're eating them. Any suggestions? Maybe I'm just buying the wrong brand. Sorry for the side note, here's the recipe:


Cheap and Easy Beef Stroganoff


¼ lb ground beef

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can milk

1 cup sour cream

¼ t. garlic

¼ t. herbs (I used rosemary, I think)

Brown ground beef with garlic and herbs. Add cream of mushroom soup and milk and sour cream. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice or pasta.


Now, the not so successful adventure this week:

Last night, the son of one of Gordon's home teaching families had a wedding reception. It's always hard for me to pick out a wedding present for someone who I don't know at all. We know the family pretty well, but he's been out at college this whole time, so we've never even met him. But, we decided we'd go and get them some games. That was one of our favorite wedding presents because we use them all the time! So, I went out and bought Uno and some dominoes and while I was at the store I decided to make it a whole game night kit. I bought some popcorn and a cute red bowl to put it all in. I had this vision that it'd be so cute to find some cellophane and put all of the goodies inside the bowl and wrap it up with some bright and colorful ribbon around the outside.

I brought it all home and I was excited to be creative and figure out how to put it together. My mom is always so good at putting gifts together and I love to bring a gift that looks really nice. However ... the cellophane that I bought was not quite what I thought it was. I opened it up, and it was three long pieces, not one huge one that could wrap the bowl. I had to piece it together for it to fit around the whole thing. Yikes...it was not pretty.


I wasn't quite sure what to do...but I knew that I couldn't leave it looking like that! So, I just ripped off the wrapping and went for an "open gift". I know it's not as fun when you can see right into the gift, but that was how it was going to be. A little better, I hope.

And, ta da! The final product. In the end, I guess the wrapping doesn't really matter, as long as they enjoy the gift. It only stays wrapped for a little bit of time.
The reception was at the Hyatt hotel here in town, and it was beautiful!!! Her colors were brown and light blue, and it looked so elegant. It was outside in the garden and there was a band playing and beautiful flowers and really, really pretty food. Wedding receptions are so fun. It always makes me think of ours. Almost four years ago! Man, time flies. :)

13 comments:

Jon and Becky said...

the picture of you looking at the gift when it's all wrapped up looks like your little 10-year old sad face. It's so cute! I just want to reach out and hug the little Chrissy-face

Todd and Meagan said...

I don't think you can go wrong with games as a gift, wrapped or unwrapped :)

Sarah said...

We love the games too...

I have an easier strogonoff recipe that you do in the crock pot:

1 lb cut up stew meat/roast
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 cans reduced fat cream of mushroom soup cans (undiluted)

Let that cook all day on low and 15-20 minutes before you eat add about 1 cup of sour cream and serve over rice/noodles.

As far as the wheat noodles. I have found that there is only one brand that I can buy that my family does not "think" they are eating healthy- Rozoni Healthy Harvest. Have you tried those? I have not seen angelhair though with that brand.

GordonandChrissy said...

Bec- So...you're saying I look like I'm 10? Thanks. haha.

Sarah- Thanks for the stroganoff recipe! That sounds even easier and I love crockpot recipes...especially for after work. So it is smelling good when I come home. That's a great one. I haven't tried that brand, but I'll have to look for it next time I'm in the store. I usually shop at Wal-Mart, where do you usually get it?

katieo said...

Cute! I think that's a GREAT gift. Games aren't something that always get into the budget.

Sarah said...

Chrissy- I have found it at WalMart, and any other grocery store. Best deal I have found is around $1.47. (I think that was at Wal Mart.) Good luck!

Jess said...

I love whole wheat pasta, too. The kind I buy is Ronzoni Healthy Harvest. I haven't had any problem with it breaking apart. And if you watch the sales, you can find it for $1 a box (that's the cheapest I've seen it go). I just noticed Sarah's comment. Yeah, they don't have an actual angel hair, but they have a "thin spaghetti". Hope that helps!
Love the gift by the way!

GordonandChrissy said...

Ronzono Healthy Harvest is actually what we've used as well. We love the other noodles, but the thin spaghetti is what breaks apart for me. Have you tried it? Maybe I'm cooking it too long?

Sarah said...

Chrissy- I have not tried the thin spaghetti, but that is because my husband does not like thin spaghetti. It sounds like it is too long, or your water is not fully boiling before you put it in. Also make sure you cook it with the lid off. You could also call the 800 number and ask them what they suggest. You may even get a free coupon!

GordonandChrissy said...

Hey, I like calling the 800 number! Great idea. I do cook it with the lid off, and when it's boiling, and I just go off of how much time they reccommend on the box, but maybe the altitude is weird here...who knows. I'm going to call them and see what they say. It's a bummer having spaghetti that's a weird texture. Thanks for all of the suggestions. :)

Jon and Becky said...

this may not help since it's weird wheat thin spaghetti, but I love angel hair pasta but I have to put it under cold water IMMEDIATELY after it comes off the stove or it sticks together and is hard to eat...so, maybe?

Jon and Becky said...

and put some olive oil in the water while it boils

GordonandChrissy said...

Ah ha! Good idea, Bec. Sorry I just saw this comment...it's probably been on here forever. My bad. :)