Today in nursery it was INSANE!!!! I came in and everything was fine and normal. But, then about 4 moms decided to drop off their kids who are "almost 18 months" to give it a try. Two of these moms left their kids last week and they did great. I'm all for the kids coming in a little early, if they're ready and it avoids the tantrum, screaming fits that may come if they wait a few more months and the kids aren't excited about coming anymore.
So, anyways, last week they were fantastic and really in there, the more the merrier, because they all just play together. However...this week, ALL FOUR started screaming at the top of their lungs and clinging to the door. Meanwhile, other parents are dropping their kids off looking at Shauna and I like we're crazy to be in there with these kids. So, more are coming, the four are screaming, and as they scream, it reminds the other kids that their moms are gone so they start to turn their lips up and get all sad. AHH!!! All I could do was laugh. It was so out of control, it wasn't funny, but I was laughing. I'd pick one up and try to calm them, get them quiet...then I put them down to grab another one and the calm one starts up again. So, we started hunting down moms. Our rule was...if they're not supposed to be in here, and they're crying and making everyone else sad (and us crazy) then they have to go back to their moms. Of course, as I'm going through the halls with screaming babies, the moms are nowhere to be found. I opened every Sunday school door and let in the cry, and then apologized and went to the next. It was chaos.
Finally, we got the youngins out of there and were left with the original 8 or so kids who did ... pretty well. We'd get a cry every now and then, but for the most they were easily distracted with the play dough or looking out the window or something. But about half way through, the crying started up again out of nowhere by one of them, and about 3 set off again. Right about then, Gordon popped his head in to say hi in between classes, and he stayed and helped us during the last hour. It was so nice. The extra hands were just what we needed, there were about three kids that he just read to for an hour, they'd sit on his lap all quietly, it was very cute. I played Ring Around The Rosey about ... 16 times and Shauna rolled about a million play dough balls. But, we survived. Long story short...wow. Nursery is fun but can be really tiring.
So, anyways, last week they were fantastic and really in there, the more the merrier, because they all just play together. However...this week, ALL FOUR started screaming at the top of their lungs and clinging to the door. Meanwhile, other parents are dropping their kids off looking at Shauna and I like we're crazy to be in there with these kids. So, more are coming, the four are screaming, and as they scream, it reminds the other kids that their moms are gone so they start to turn their lips up and get all sad. AHH!!! All I could do was laugh. It was so out of control, it wasn't funny, but I was laughing. I'd pick one up and try to calm them, get them quiet...then I put them down to grab another one and the calm one starts up again. So, we started hunting down moms. Our rule was...if they're not supposed to be in here, and they're crying and making everyone else sad (and us crazy) then they have to go back to their moms. Of course, as I'm going through the halls with screaming babies, the moms are nowhere to be found. I opened every Sunday school door and let in the cry, and then apologized and went to the next. It was chaos.
Finally, we got the youngins out of there and were left with the original 8 or so kids who did ... pretty well. We'd get a cry every now and then, but for the most they were easily distracted with the play dough or looking out the window or something. But about half way through, the crying started up again out of nowhere by one of them, and about 3 set off again. Right about then, Gordon popped his head in to say hi in between classes, and he stayed and helped us during the last hour. It was so nice. The extra hands were just what we needed, there were about three kids that he just read to for an hour, they'd sit on his lap all quietly, it was very cute. I played Ring Around The Rosey about ... 16 times and Shauna rolled about a million play dough balls. But, we survived. Long story short...wow. Nursery is fun but can be really tiring.

6 comments:
Chrissy, the Proclamation was a wedding gift to us from Amy and Debbie Thompson. I think they got it in Provo but it was over five years ago. When I was in Provo in May looking for one they didn't have any like the one we had. :( I wonder if you could find on online on Deseret Book or Seagull?
Ooh, Seagull is a good idea. I've looked at Deseret Book and they have some that are pretty neat, but none like the one you guys have. I love that! I'll check Seagull and see what I can find. I hope you don't care if we copy you. I figure since we live so far apart, it's doubtful anyone will notice. :)
Oh wow...we had the same experience in Reno. There are 35 nursery kids so they split in to senior and junior. Well there was a mom in there with her "almost 18 month old" and she was driving everyone crazy...being bossy and nobody could touch her kid...but if her kid pushed someone, she acted like she didn't see it. It was loud hectic and crazy. My mom was ready to cry. Some days it can go so smoothly...and the other days you're ready to rip your hair out. I'm glad we share the same chaos!
This is such a touchy subject. As a former primary president, the handbook says, "18 months, not a day sooner." As a parent, I wanted nothing more than to have my child enjoy nursery. Jonathan was not an issue at all. Taylor... because his older brother was in nursery at the same time and saw all the toys. When Taylor was 16 months, we asked the nursery leaders and primary president if we could STAY WITH TAYLOR and have him do nursery. Both parties agreed. We never would have left him, even if the ratios were fine. I would talk with your counselor with the primary and see what they think. The last thing you want to do is set a precedence that you will regret later. Best part is, you can always say, "The primary presidency said we can't".
That's good advice. I'll talk to the Primary President. I didn't really think about the consequences of letting one or two in...then they all want to come. So, it's probably not such a great idea. I'll talk to her and see what she suggests. :)
"almost 18 months" = bad news
I was going to write a big long comment about this. But Sarah said everything I was going to. Our rule was, If pre-18 monthers come in, PARENTS MUST accompany them! Even even they were completely happy, they don't get so many thing: sharing, taking turns, etc (even the regular nursery kids struggle with these ya know?) to throw in a bunch of teeny ones who don't understand just makes everything harder. It's good for the parents to be there to intervene or at least to SEE.
GOOD LUCK!
(whoops. long comment anyway)
Post a Comment