This year was a wonderful birthday! Gordon and I were babysitting for some friends on the actual day, so we celebrated on Sunday. Gordon made grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and grilled corn for dinner. And then, I had requested this peanut butter pie that I saw in a magazine that I have for my birthday "cake". We had a nice dinner and watched "You've Got Mail" one of my favorite movies. :)

And, ta da! Here is the pie. It was ... unbelievable. Of course, we're still eating it. We had some more last night too. It is SOOOOO good. Let me put it this way...if you like Reses Peanut Butter Cups, you will LOVE this pie. It's like eating a huge peanut butter cup, that's cold. I love Reses ("I love Spam and Reses, can I have some?" name that quote...) so it was like a little piece of heaven for me. Have I convinced you to try it yet? If somehow I have failed and you are still waivering, look at the next picture.

How can you say no to that? It's delicious!!! And, even better news, it's a light version of the real thing. It was in an edition of the magazine Cooking Light that I got at the grocery store. Here's the recipe, it's super simple and not too bad for you. It does have some sugar in it, but aside from the sugar, it's very low in fat and not bad as far as calories go...for a really good dessert. I'm not saying it's like a plate of steamed veggies, but come on ... give it a try!
1 2/3 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
7 large T sugar, divided
2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2/3 cup reduced-fat crunchy peanut butter
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 container frozen fat-free cool whip
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine crumbs, 3 T sugar, and egg whites; toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Prick crust with a fork before baking. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
Combine milk and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly; transfer mixture to a bowl. Add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring with a whisk until combined. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Place cream cheese in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Fold in whipped topping; pour mixture in to prepared pie crust. Freeze, uncovered, 8 hours or overnight until hard. Transfer pie to refrigerator 30 minutes before slicing.
***Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray to press the sticky crust into the pie plate. The filling might be thin after you mix it, but it will harden in the freezer.
***The 30 minutes in the fridge before slicing is perfect. It's still very cool and hard enough to eat like a pie, but doesn't taste "frozen".
I HOPE YOU TRY THIS!!!!
7 large T sugar, divided
2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2/3 cup reduced-fat crunchy peanut butter
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 container frozen fat-free cool whip
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine crumbs, 3 T sugar, and egg whites; toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Prick crust with a fork before baking. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
Combine milk and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly; transfer mixture to a bowl. Add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring with a whisk until combined. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Place cream cheese in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Fold in whipped topping; pour mixture in to prepared pie crust. Freeze, uncovered, 8 hours or overnight until hard. Transfer pie to refrigerator 30 minutes before slicing.
***Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray to press the sticky crust into the pie plate. The filling might be thin after you mix it, but it will harden in the freezer.
***The 30 minutes in the fridge before slicing is perfect. It's still very cool and hard enough to eat like a pie, but doesn't taste "frozen".
I HOPE YOU TRY THIS!!!!

A birthday shot before church. Gordon got a cute new belt and white shirt, so it was a photo opportunity. Plus, we've both just recently had birthdays...so, why not?


12 comments:
YUM! I am totally making that pie. I know Steve will love it and so will I. Does it taste too cool whippish though? Because I don't like cool whip. I figure the peanut butter helps mask the taste though.
oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Glad you had a good birthday Chrissy. In our family we would always have pie instead of cake because we were always "caked" out. Our favorite is ice cream pie. My mom got to the point where she could buy an Iceberg shake, pour it into a graham cracker shell and freeze. They no longer have an Iceberg here, so we are stuck doing icecream partially thawed again. Still- they are really good!
Looks very yummy! I have a husband and sons who LOVE recees. Happy Birthday!
Thanks for the birthday wishes! We both had great ones this year. Katrina, it doesn't taste cool whippish at all. I know what you mean, and it totally hardens and the peanut butter definitely masks the taste, so it just tastes like a huge peanut butter cup. You'll love it. :)
Happy Birthday! Thanks for posting the recipe! When I saw the picture I was thinking (I want that recipe!) and then I saw it! Can't wait to try it. - Jess
You guys look so great! Love the pictures.
That pie looks delicious! Hey, do you think you could post Gordon's sweet-bread recipe too? I've been craving it lately!
Gracias
By the way, you are going to HAVE to make that pie for Thanksgiving, okay? okay. great.
PS
I asked Sam if she wanted to say something to Gordon and Chrissy and she said yes and then started taking her shorts off.
I don't know what that means, but...Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday! We will definitly be making that pie. Looks yummy!
I'm thinking that if it came from "cooking light" then i'm against it. Find a way to put some more fat into it, and MAYBE i'll try it. chrissy, you're skinny enough as it is, i think it's time for you to start living it up, girl!!
That pie looks delicious! Unfortunately I'm allergic to peanut butter. Bum deal. So enjoy another piece for me...happy birthdays to the both of you. What a cute couple...
And I'm going to have to find a cooking light book...I'm feeling not so light these days...
Steph-I know, usually there's some trick to it, so that it looks yummy, but then you try it and it totally tates fake. This one? Not so. Oh, and P.S. Gordon chopped up Reses pb cups on top, so it's not EXACTLY like the recipe, but wow...that tasted good.
Sariah-What are you talking about? You look great! But, bum deal being allergic to peanuts. Maybe you could put jelly in there instead. haha. Just kidding that'd be so gross.
Happy Belated Bday to both of you guys! That pie looks soo good. We will definitely have to give it a try. Cute picture of the two of you! Awwww...
Post a Comment