Remember the green peppers from the Farmer's Market post? Well...they've been put to good use! If you're a fruitarian, then you probably think they've been killed, but for us ... normal people, they were delicious!

I was so excited today, because I made up this recipe! You're probably thinking, "Okay...no big deal, it's a stuffed pepper." But for me, that's big. I am a strict RECIPE girl. I stray a little from recipes, but as far as completely free-doggin' it ... I never do that. (Free doggin'? I don't know...)
Anyhow, I looked on-line for some good recipes to stuff these beautiful peppers, but all of the recipes called for things that I didn't already have, and I didn't want to go to the store tonight.
So, I created a new one. They were SO yummy, so if you're interested...here's the "recipe". I didn't know I was creating something that would be good...secretly I had already decided that if it flopped we'd have oatmeal and I'd just light some candles to hide the evidence from Gordon, hehe, so I didn't exactly measure everything.
Here it goes:
2 green bell peppers
1 cup (uncooked) brown rice
3/4 cup chunky salsa (I used a salsa with black beans and corn already in it)
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1/2 can refried beans (not quite half a can, a little less than that)
1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
1 clove finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Cook the rice as directed. Set aside. Chop the chicken into tiny pieces and cook over low heat until no longer pink in the middle. (I always put a little bit of water in my pan so it stays moist...a trick learned from Mom.) Remove the chicken from heat. Add the rice, salsa, tomatoes, beans, chopped pepper and garlic. Put back over low heat until all heated through and chopped vegetables are crisp tender.
Cut the tops off of the green peppers. Stuff with the rice mixture. Place both stuffed peppers on one plate, cover with saran wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until peppers are soft and warm.
Remove saran wrap (don't forget that step, haha) and top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
And, wa-la, they're done! We ate them with sliced cucumbers. They were actually REALLY filling. We were talking about it, and I think next time I make them I'll cut the peppers in half and then place the rice mixture on top, so they're easier to eat and so that if we don't finish them all, we can just put them in a tupperware for lunches. Oh, and this recipe made LOTS of filling, probably enough for 4 peppers. I just kept the extra and I'm going to take it to work tomorrow in a tortilla.
1 cup (uncooked) brown rice
3/4 cup chunky salsa (I used a salsa with black beans and corn already in it)
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1/2 can refried beans (not quite half a can, a little less than that)
1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
1 clove finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Cook the rice as directed. Set aside. Chop the chicken into tiny pieces and cook over low heat until no longer pink in the middle. (I always put a little bit of water in my pan so it stays moist...a trick learned from Mom.) Remove the chicken from heat. Add the rice, salsa, tomatoes, beans, chopped pepper and garlic. Put back over low heat until all heated through and chopped vegetables are crisp tender.
Cut the tops off of the green peppers. Stuff with the rice mixture. Place both stuffed peppers on one plate, cover with saran wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until peppers are soft and warm.
Remove saran wrap (don't forget that step, haha) and top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
And, wa-la, they're done! We ate them with sliced cucumbers. They were actually REALLY filling. We were talking about it, and I think next time I make them I'll cut the peppers in half and then place the rice mixture on top, so they're easier to eat and so that if we don't finish them all, we can just put them in a tupperware for lunches. Oh, and this recipe made LOTS of filling, probably enough for 4 peppers. I just kept the extra and I'm going to take it to work tomorrow in a tortilla.

On a completely separate note...while we were in Utah, our friends Kent and Alicia that we stayed with gave us this game for our birthdays!!! We got it out and played together last night and it was so fun! We've played many times before, but we're very excited to have our very own game. Thanks, you guys!!!
It's called "The Farming Game". If you haven't played it, you should. It's a blast. It's kind of a mixture of Settler's and Monopoly. So it's not a quick game, but it's very fun. If you come and visit us, we'll play it with you. And we'll take you to the beach...anyone? Anyone?


5 comments:
That stuffed pepper looks amazing! Great job figuring out your own recipe! It's fun to experiment, but I agree it sometimes makes me nervous not following a recipe. We will definitely have to try your recipe!!
That looks yummy! It sounds good for a tortilla filler, too! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! It was fun to do, and super fast...I never feel like cooking for too long after work. :) I hope you guys like it too!
Looks like you should "free-dog" more often. I bet it was the bomb.
John thinks a tortilla sounds good too. I am glad it worked out for you!
Post a Comment