Thursday, June 25, 2009

Worst date ever ... and the cutest scene ever

I keep meaning to record our first and WORST date ever.

It just so happened to be our VERY FIRST date since Spencer was born. I've been a little scared of having him babysat, but about a month ago I decided I was ready. (He IS six months old ... he has more regular routines now, etc. etc)

So, off we go. Gordon was in charge of planning the date. We were going to go bike riding, but he was choosing the location and where to go for a cheap dinner.

He researched online and looked up all sorts of trails and destinations for us. Some friends of ours in the ward agreed to watch the little man and I went and dropped him off.

He did GREAT (while I was there) so I felt good as I drove away. It was such a strange feeling- knowing that I was coming home to just my husband. Kind of exciting to be alone again for a little while.

Gordon found some trails for us to ride on, so we packed the bikes on the car and headed out. We had to pay $11 to get into the park where all of these trails were. That's kind of expensive for us ... so we planned to stay for a while to get our money's worth.

FIRST thing to go wrong:
I see a sign right as we're entering the trail reading
"BEWARE OF RATTLESNAKES"
Um, are you kidding me? Because that's not a very funny joke. I am so so so scared of snakes.

Gordon reassured me that they go in at night and when you're on your bike, you're safe. True? Maybe, but I bought it for the time being.

SECOND thing to go wrong:
We start down the trail and it is SUPER skinny and to your right is a drop off into the lake. Um. Yikes.

Gordon goes zooming down a hill and around the corner.

Me: I stop at the top and call down.
"Honey, this is scary for me."

G: "Just walk your bike down and see how it goes. We can turn back if it's too much."

So, I'm willing to give it a try. I keep going, and the trail just gets thinner and windier. I realize I am going to be walking my bike the WHOLE time. yuck. Bad for two reasons: 1) we're biking, not walking 2) rattlesnakes!!!!

So, we decided to turn around and head back to the parking lot to our car. We got our map back out to see if there were any other trails, but it was already getting dark - so Gordon suggested just doing a road ride along the road we drove in on. I am way wimpy and scared of roads that wind with cars that could zoom up on us - so I just gave him the "I don't know about that" look and he laughed, so we rode around the parking lot a few times and got back in the car. ha.

THIRD thing to go wrong:

Gordon planned on us going to Gandolfo's for dinner. It's a yummy sandwich place that we used to go to in Provo. They just opened one up out here. We were all excited about it.

They closed at 8. It was 8:10.

FOURTH thing to go wrong:

Since we were driving back into town to find something else for dinner, I took the time to call and check on Spencer. Worried Mama, I know. :)

Here's the response I got

"Well, he's asleep now..."

(that's never good)

Apparently, about 2 minutes after I left, he just started bawling and nothing would pacify him. Eventually, our friend walked with him and let the computer screensaver come on and it lulled him to sleep. Poor kid.

But, since he was asleep - we decided to go find something quick for dinner. We wanted to try something new, so we went to a place recommended by our friends with good fish tacos. Maybe it was just us ... not so good. We don't go out very often at all, so this was a bummer to us.

Anyhow, we ended back up at our friends' house and had fun chatting with them. Luckily, we were able to just laugh throughout the whole evening - so it was hilarious, but definitely our WORST date ever.

Now, onto the CUTEST SCENE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Gordon has been painting Spencer's room in our new apartment and it has taken him away many evenings to finish it up. So, he hasn't seen Spencer very much.

The other night, he got home and said he was going to go in and check on Spence. It had been a few minutes and he still hadn't come out, so I went in to make sure he was alright.

He had picked him up and was just rocking with him.

So sweet. I wanted to just kiss them both. You've got to love that guy. :)

1 comment:

Mark and/or Lisa said...

We've definitely had a few like that, although maybe not quite as bad. At some point it's almost becomes really fun again cause it's going so bad. And do tell where the new Gandolfo's is...we love that place!