Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Utah trip part 2...the drive down memory lane

We took a little drive and looked around campus and some of the places that we lived while in Utah. Even though it was only a year ago that we left, sometimes it feels like it's been so long! Things have definitely changed already, too.


This is the school I taught at last year. I miss those kids!!! Even though it was hard work, and very tiring, I miss being there. And I had forgotten how close to the mountains we were there. It's so pretty.


Our last apartment in Provo. We were on the second floor, the one with the bike in front of it. (Don't they know that's not allowed? Tisk, tisk.)


Chattsworth, where we met. I was in the one with the "Red Door" (haha, inside joke with Becky...) It was such a fun place to live while we were single. Steve and Katrina also hooked up here. Ahhh....the fond memories.


This is the new Gordon B. Hinckley building. It is beautiful! We came here after going to the bookstore and when you come up over the hill, it is just huge!!! We tried to go inside to look around, but there was a sign that said it was closed to the public. Some people out there were saying that it wasn't totally finished yet. Sure looks nice on the outside, though!


We could see that there was someone inside the tower of the building, so I was just playing with our zoom to see how close we could get to him. Pretty good, huh? Too bad he was turned the other way so we can't tell who he is...it's a mystery.


This was Gordon's doing. We were walking around campus past the administration building, and Gordon looked up and said, "I need the camera." He started zooming in on ... what looked like nothing. Ah yes, he needed to see what kind of speakers were at the top of the building. Sounds funny, but he's got me doing it too. I was at the airport yesterday and looked up to see what speakers were there. Lo and behold, they were JBL. Sweet.


Gordon's home away from home in Provo, The Eyring Science Center. We walked through and said hi to some of his old nerd, I mean, Physics friends. haha.


The highlight of the day was seeing the underground Anechoic chamber re-model. They spent a TON of money and completely had it redone. It looks great! If you've been down there before with Gordon, you'll definitely appreciate how different it looks now. Above, is the work area outside the chamber, kind of the command center where they tell the arcs and booms (impressed with my acoustics words?) what to do. It used to be really old and run-down with old computers and equipment. Now it's state of the art. Very nice.


This is the inside of the new chamber. The new wedges look so cool in there. They used to be out of fiberglass and some students had put them together. Now they're all nice and new.


This is the view looking down at the floor. If you're unfamiliar with an anechoic chamber, it's a chamber that does not echo back any sound. As opposed to an echoic chamber. Make sense now? Anyhow...you're suspended in the air by the wire you can see, so it's a pretty weird feeling. And when you talk, the sound just dies. It's pretty neat.


Another view, this time of the ceiling.


We forgot what a pretty campus BYU is. It was so fun to just walk around.


Steve, these next two pictures are for you. They are pictures of the construction that is going on at the Tanner Building. Gordon thought you might be interested to see the progress. So far ... not much is there. Just a big pit. But, I'm pretty sure there's no trespassing. Haha. There were lots of signs.

4 comments:

Steve and Katrina said...

that makes me miss Utah a lot looking at all those pictures. It is always so fun to go back and remember the good times. Whenever we went to Provo, Steve always insisted that we drive by Chatsworth. We never did get a picture though. What a fun trip! From Becky's blog, it looks like you went to Missouri too? Hope there are pictures coming soon!

I'll let Steve comment on the the Tanner building. I'm sure he will appreciate the pictures.

Steve and Katrina said...

Thank you, there are a handful of BYU MBA's and they are bummed because they will already have graduated by the time it is done.

I have been spoiled by Purdue. I think the Tanner Building is pretty ghetto and laid out poorly compared to Rawls Hall.

Thanks for the photos.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

Sorry, I deleted that last comment. I was signed in to the wrong blog (I have an anonymous one where I just dump links I need for work & stuff). What I was going to say was (1) the guy in the tower looks suspiciously like his is going to the bathroom; (2) the non-echo room is sweet; and (3) so many good memories from Provo. What a great, beautiful place. Three cheers for the BYU landscape workers for keeping it beautiful. And the Hinckley building looks great.