Saturday, May 19, 2007

Monday, Monday....

Prepare yourself...this is a long one. Sorry!

Monday morning, Gordon took the car to work and I took the bus. It was my first time on the bus, so I was a little bit nervous. But, Gordon had planned my trip out for me and we drove the route so that I knew exactly where each stop was and where I'd get off, etc. (I know, I'm paranoid) But, on Mondays I work my regular job and also teach swim lessons afterwards so I had to get to work, and then get to lessons on time. Anyhow, I was nervous and thought we had everything all worked out.

Monday morning comes and I went out to the bus stop that is right behind our apartment about 15 minutes ahead of when the bus was supposed to come because Gordon said they are sometimes early, and I couldn't miss this one. I waited...and waited...and waited. And no bus came. The next stop that I had to get off at was only a little over a mile away, so in my mind I was trying to figure out whether or not I could run that far with my swim bag and lunch and purse, in heels, and make it on time. Luckily, another bus that wasn't mine came by and I asked if they were going to my stop, and they were so I hopped on.

I got to my next stop and on the next bus with no problems, so I thought I was smooth sailin'. It took me to work and everything was peachy. I left work about 20 minutes early and explained to them that I had to catch the bus. I got out to the stop and waited...and waited. It was 30 minutes past when the bus was supposed to be there, and I kept seeing buses coming and turning on a street just down the way, so finally I decided I 'd trek down there and try and catch another bus and just get to work a little later.

Wouldn't you know, as soon as I get across the two intersections, my bus comes. Ahh!!! By this time, I'm getting really frustrated, when a bus comes. It was the same bus driver I had had in the morning and he pulled over to see if I was okay. (I must've looked pretty distraught) I told him where I needed to go, and he told me to cross the street and wait on the other side. As I'm crossing over there, a bus comes and flies by before I get through the intersection. Sheesh! I was bummed, so I called work and let them know I was trying to get there, but I didn't know how late I'd be. I also tried to call Gordon for help with finding the bus schedule online, but he was away from his desk. I had no idea what to do...I was about 8 miles from work still.

Finally, I remembered that another guy at work gets off at four, so I called him to see if he could drop me off at the pool, and he came and rescued me.

You'd think this SUPER long story would end there, but it doesn't. ha. So, I got to the pool BARELY on time and started the first lesson. I taught for about 25 minutes (of a 30 minute lesson) and the lifeguard comes running over to me. She told me to get the kids out of the pool NOW. One of the little girls had pooped. Yep, I looked down and sure enough, diarrhea was floating in the pool. It was DISGUSTING!!!

Obviously, after something like that, we had to cancel the lessons for the rest of the night to clean the pool. So, that meant I was done early...very early. And, I had no car. The plan was for Gordon to pick me up at 7 when I was done, but it was only 5:20. Luckily, I had work out clothes in my swim bag and I just exercised and called him and he was already on his way home.

He knew all about my rough day, and being the sweetheart he is...he showed up at the pool with flowers. And alas, my day was lovely again. :) Nothing like flowers to make a girl smile.

And, here is the main reason for the post, to show what a cute husband Gordon is.


This is how they looked when he came to pick me up. Tulips and daisies, my two favorite flowers. He told me later, that after he talked with me on the phone about all of the bus stuff and I was so upset and worried about getting to work on time, he left work as soon as he could and started calling a bunch of flower places to find a place that would do daisies and tulips together. Aren't they so pretty?


We put them in a vase later, and they still look SO good!!!

4 comments:

Steve and Katrina said...

What a tramatic experience. I would never be daring enough to take the bus. The most daring I got was taking Trax in utah becuase it is very easy. I am all scared for Steve to take the bus here and he isn't even nervous.

Way to go Gordon! What an awesome husband. Didn't Steve take lessons from him when they were roommates? I think Gordon needs to give Steve some hints:)

Steve and Katrina said...

Thanks Gordon. As soon as I saw the flowers I knew I was doomed.

Steve

Stephanie said...

What drama! Taking the bus is a scary event. You had guts to even attempt. One time I took the bus from campus to the student health center, and the whole time I was a worried wreck...when do i pull the lever thing? what time do i need to get back on the bus? what if i get off somewhere crazy like the mall and miss my appointment? It was ridiculous. Good thing Taylor likes navigating things like the subway in NY, otherwise I would never have gone.

Mrs. Horton said...

awww! gordon is so cute! i HATED taking the bus up to sandy (and i only had to catch 1 bus). you're a trooper with a capital T.