Monday, December 31, 2012

Best gift ever

Friday afternoon at 4:05 pm our sweet Daniel was born.  

We feel so blessed and honored to be his parents.  He is a sweet, cuddly baby and we can't imagine our family without him now.  

It is so amazing to me how you instantly fall in love when they join your family.  The moment they put him on my chest, both Gordon and I were crying.  He is beautiful, sweet and meant to be with us.  We are so grateful to know where he came from and how special he is to us and to his Heavenly Father.  

And now ... introducing our newest cute boy (although he's just one of two - Spence is still a cutie pie!)



Daniel Terry Dix
December 28, 4:05 pm
8 pounds 2 oz
20.5 inches long 

Pure sweetness :)











We have many more photos of him on Gordon's phone but he and Spence are out playing this afternoon.  So, for now - these are what we have.  All of us are loving on him - he is so fun to cuddle!!!

Spencer has been nothing but sweet to him.  As soon as we got home from the hospital he ran to his room to grab a toy to share with Daniel that he had been saving and he grabs me diapers and wipes and burp clothes and blankets and just loves helping.  We're hoping that will continue.  :) 

A few more details I don't want to forget:

1) Spencer came to visit us in the hospital Saturday morning and the first thing he said to me was, "Now you can run and play and wrestle, Mom!" So funny.  Soon enough, kiddo.

2) How Spencer will just come up to him, lift up his hat and kiss his head three times really gently.  So precious. 


The STORY, for those of you interested.  Minus any gross details.  :)

Friday morning at about 2:00 am I started to have contractions in bed.  I had a few episodes like this the pervious week so I figured it would just go away.  Although I hoped it was the real deal! Gordon had some work to do and decided to stay up that night to finish it so that he didn't have to do it on Friday and we could go do something fun with Spencer.  He came into bed at 3 and I told him I was having contractions but that I figured they would go away soon so just to go to bed.  They continued, the next hour about 6-7 minutes apart and increased in intensity - I really had to focus and breathe through them.  Then I started having a few 5 minutes apart - so I hopped in the shower to see if they would settle down (worked the previous time and I didn't want to go in just to get sent home if they weren't real).  While in the shower I had a really strong one, and then getting dressed - 2 more about 4 minutes apart.  I called into the hospital and explained what was going on and they recommended I come and get checked.  By this time it was 5:30, so I called a friend close by to come and stay with Spence and we got packed up.  On the way there they were consistently 4-5 minutes apart and I was glad we were headed there.  They were intensifying! When I arrived they checked and I was 3.5 and said they would come and check in 2 hours to see if I was progressing.  After an hour, I asked Gordon to call the nurse to come check again - they were getting sooo strong!  She came in and I was 5.5!!! I was stoked, we were staying and I was progressing quickly so I was hoping I could make it without an epidural (faster healing, faster labor hopefully).  They moved me to a labor room and came to check again 2 hours later, the contractions were 2 min apart now and STRONG so I was pretty sure I had made progress.  NO! I was still at a 5.5.  That was discouraging.  And I was getting TIRED! It was 11:30 am and I had been up a long time already.  She said they would come again in 2 more hours and I decided I would still try with no epidural.  After 30 more minutes of intense 2 min contractions, I gave in.  I still knew I had 5 cm to go PLUS needed the energy to push at the end.  I didn't think I could make that.  The epidural came and instantly I had incredible relief.  It was amazing, they did a great job.  I could occasionally feel pressure, but hardly at all so I just ate my ice chips and chatted with Gordon and watched TV.  So much better.  They came and checked 2 hours later and I was 7, two hours later 9.  But, my water hadn't broken yet.  She checked and the bag of water was in a good position to brake - safe for the baby so Gordon and I decided we'd go ahead and brake it.  The doctor said to call her when I felt intense pressure and we would be ready to push.  I knew the earlier I called the earlier I would be pushing and possibly making the pushing longer so I held off as long as I could and called her in.  I was 10 cm, 100% effaced and at a +1 station, low in the canal.  We started pushing at 3:55 and he was here by 4:05.  I am SO grateful for wonderful nurses and doctors.  

Spencer was born at 4:08 so we almost had the exact same timing!

Summary: 

We love him and we love our two boys together.  We are having a great break together!!!

13 comments:

Steve and Katrina said...

Yeah, congratulations!! I love seeing all the newborn pictures. I just love that time in the hospital with a new baby. Such cute boys. We are so happy for you guys!!

Jen said...

Congratulations!!! Those pictures are so precious!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations! We are very excited for your family.

Angie said...

Hooray! My favorite is the picture of you holding Daniel in the hospital. It just floods me with those happy feelings of holding a brand new baby and how much you instantly love them and are in awe at the miracle of life and them being YOURS. Congrats!!! What a lucky guy to come to your happy family.

Megan said...

Hooray Hooray Hooray!!! Welcome to the world, Baby Daniel! Congratulations to you and Gordon and Spencer! He is such a handsome, chunky little guy! I can't believe you're a family of 4 now! :) Loved reading the story of how he came into the world. I'm so glad that everything went smoothly with the labor and delivery (and that you had an awesome epidural) and I think it's so sweet that Spencer is such a good big brother already. :) Can't wait to see more of this sweet baby of yours!

Jimmy & Amy said...

Congratulations!!! What a sweet little guy! Enjoy snuggling!!

Todd and Meagan said...

Yay!!! Congrats and he is so adorable! Thanks for sharing your story. I love reading about them, gross details and all. :) Enjoy your TWO little boys!!

Lindsay said...

Chrissy!! I'm so happy for you guys! Daniel is adorable, and you'll just love having 2 little boys, personally I think boys are the best :) and at least you tried to go all natural, the thought never even entered my mind!

Suzanne said...

can't wait to meet him! he is adorable! we love you guys!

katieo said...

AAAH! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. Two boys are twice the joy!!
love the pictures. Wish you were here so we could come love on him. :)

mikila said...

Congratulations to your family! He is so sweet and precious! I can't wait to meet him.

Chris and Jenna said...

Congrats on your newest addition! Aren't little boys the best?! What a sweet family you have!

T and B said...

So happy for you. What a cute family!