Saturday, September 08, 2007

Saw, anyone?

Sorry in advance for the picture being so dark, but ... it's the only one I've got.

Gordon got a new TOY!!! He's so excited. At work, he has been doing some listening tests for the company. Basically, it's a blind test of several speakers (one is always JBL of course, but also mixed in with competitors' models) and he has been trained to listen for differences and rate them accordingly. They pay him a little extra for this by giving him Amazon Dollars. He's been saving them up and earned enough to pay for a new miter saw. It was delivered just a few days ago, and he is so anxious to start a project. He wanted to saw everything the first night....table legs, chairs, etc. I know, yikes.

Luckily, we have a few projects that he is ready to work on. He is going to build some shelves for the garage for our food storage and he's also going to make a bookcase for our computer room. Having a saw is turning out to be great for both of us! He gets to do the woodworking that he loves, and I get cool stuff built for around the house! I can't complain. :)

Anyhow, here he is with his new favorite thing. I think the picture says enough.


Oh, and yes, it's sitting on the kitchen floor. Another project is to build a workbench. haha.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds a lot like star points at my work. Except I got "toys" that I wanted- Kitchenaid mixer, pressure cooker, pots and pans, ice cream maker, games... One year our entire Christmas was from my star points. Good for you Gordon! The best part Chrissy- you did not have to go to the store and watch him drool over the selection and then have to pick only ONE! :-)

GordonandChrissy said...

Oh, I know! Looking online is much easier. :)

Sounds like the star points are pretty nice, also! I wouldn't mind if the next thing he saved up on Amazon for was a Kitchenaid...maybe I'll have to start putting in requests. :)

Chris and Jenna said...

It's great to have a husband with tools. Chris has built me a few things that I like from the pottery barn cataloge. Saves lots of money!

Steven said...

Way cool saw. I wish I had one like that. FYI- I was in class last week and we were talking about particulates and we were discussing wood dust. I found out that if can cause nose/nasal cancer. (Never knew that and I love the smell of fresh cut wood.) If you want to reduce your exposure wear a N95 dust mask. It also depends on the wood. Mahogany and western red cedar are more harmful. Also any type of tropic wood. I like gordon a lot and just wanted to make sure he 'nose' how to be safe.

GordonandChrissy said...

Ooh, that's a great idea to look at pottery barn catalogs. Their stuff is so cute, but so pricey. Building is the way to go!

GordonandChrissy said...

I like him a lot too. :) I'll be sure to pass on the wisdom.

And, he has one of those dust traps to attach to the back. Do those help quite a bit? Or, have you heard anything about those yet?

Steven said...

I think that I miss spoke in my last comment. Yes, certain wood dust does cause nasal cancer, but unless gordon was going to be cutting a lot of wood, such as a carpenter, the possiblity of it harming him is so tiny. If he is going to redo your cabinets in the kitchen then I would suggest wearing a N95 dust mask. The noise is going to be more harmful over time than the dust. the big key factor is that he would have to be working with a lot of wood, all day long for years. It also depends on the type of wood. So I wouldn't worry too much. I was excited to share what I learned in class with you. Just make sure he wears ear plugs, but he probably knew that.

PS - I don't know anything about dust traps for saws, but let's just say that if you can smell that cut wood smell then it is not collecting everything.