Monday, September 24, 2007

Isn't music great?

Last night we had our annual Stake Hymnfest. It's where all of the wards in the stake prepare a hymn that has special meaning to them. Before each hymn is sung, they talk about the background of the song and why it has a special meaning to them. It was really neat. I think Gordon would agree, (I'm at work, so I can't ask him now) that the best hymn was sung by a 10 year old boy in the stake.

He started off with a story from earlier in the year. I'll try and re-tell it like he did.

"I was having a sleepover at a friends house, and things were going well and we were all having fun. Later on, we decided to watch a movie. We walked into the room where he keeps his videos and we all started looking through them. My friend held one up and said we should watch it and that it was a really good movie. I asked him what it was rated, and he said he didn't know. But...I think he did know, because I turned it over and it was rated R. I told him that we couldn't watch that movie. He kept trying to get me to watch it and called me a whimp. He told me to just be a man. I told him that I WAS a man. I told him that a real man is someone who stands up for himself, and not someone who gives in when other people pressure you. So, we didn't watch the movie, we decided to do something else instead. This song has a little to do with that night."


After telling this story, which was so neat to hear told by such a young kid, he sang "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus". It was so sweet. His older brother (he was only 13) accompanied him, and it was beautiful! He just smiled up there as he sang and it just totally hit home with me. He was so genuinely happy to be there and sharing that message. It just made me realize why we're supposed to be like little children. I found myself thinking, "I want to be like him." And he's a 10 year old! Kids are amazing.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great story! I am telling you these children now are so strong. They have to be too! The Bishop in our old ward did this twice a year where we could just go up and share a hymn and we would sing one verse. Now that I am doing Relief Society music, I do this the 4th Sunday of each month. The sisters have not quite caught the vision, but I keep hoping...

GordonandChrissy said...

I think that's a great idea. Music has always been so powerful for me, almost more so than anything. It was really neat. I'm sure it'll start being a great thing in RS too. Keep up the hope. :)