Friday, July 06, 2012

Soccer and fire on the street!


Spencer had his last day of soccer last Saturday.  He LOVED soccer and was super bummed that it was over.  I have a great video of him stealing the ball in the last game and running with it down to his goal - but it is not loading.  So, hopefully you can see that soon.


The weather here lately has been AWESOME! Not too hot during the day (but still warm enough to swim, yay!) and super cool at night.  So we've been taking advantage of it when we can and doing family walks at night.  This night Spencer decided to ride his bike instead and just looked too cute not to get a picture. I love him in sunglasses.


Daddy and Spencer were making something together ... I can't remember what, but they were having fun and I had to get a picture of the cook in his Star Wars undies.

Side note: I want to record a story about Spencer, but I have no picture to go with it.  We did family night on Monday and decided that we would start bearing our testimonies each week so that he could get used to doing that and understand what it means.  We read an article in The Friend about it this week so it worked pretty well.  Gordon and I both went and then Spencer said it was his turn and he was so sweet.  He said something like this, 

"I believe in Jesus and Heavenly Father.  And I know that when we get really old and die that we'll be able to live with them again.  And I know that we need to be nice and follow Heavenly Father like Nephi and not be bad like Laban and Lemuel." (He gets their names confused)  :) 

We were so proud of him.  And ARE so proud of him.  He is a handful at times, but has the sweetest heart and is just such a bundle of fun in our house.


Spencer made it to the top of the "HUGE spider web" at a little children's museum close by last week.  He usually climbs on it, but hasn't made it to the top yet.  So he was super excited to pose for a picture so that we could show Daddy.  :)


Sunday morning around 6:20 I woke up because the fan in our room shut off.  We always have it on for background noise and I got up to see what was going on - and the power was out in the whole house.  I looked outside to see if there was a storm that I didn't hear or something obvious going on, but I couldn't see anything.  So, I called the electric company and got a recording that they knew about the outage and were hoping to restore power by 9:45.  Luckily, the boys kept sleeping, so I went and had breakfast in the backyard in the quiet by myself and I could hear a truck outside (I figured it was the electric company truck) and I could see a bunch of our neighbors down the street just watching and two firetrucks, and three police cars and smoke.  Yikes!  I walked down and talked to the neighbors and it turns out that one of the electric lines caught on fire and then caught a nearby bush on fire (to the left of the corner house in the picture above).  I guess it was a pretty good flame earlier.  When I arrived, it was just smoke but they were still shooting water on it.  Luckily, it didn't catch the nearby fence, low trees or home.  Could have been WAY worse.  

The power came back on about 20 minutes before church, but not in enough time for me to shower so it was an interesting day.  Needless to say, we are reminded how grateful we are for electricity! The first thing I thought of when I woke up and found out the power was down was all of the water barrels I have in the garage that are EMPTY! This weekend we are getting them filled and treated.



Pure joy at happy hollow with cousin Calvin. :)


Spence was wiped one evening (he is getting better with no nap, but man - some days he totally still needs it!) and fell asleep like this.  Poor kid. 



"Take a picture of my purple blanket. I love it."


I can't remember why we had this caution tape, but it made a pretty cool headband. 



3 comments:

Megan said...

what a sweet story about him bearing his testimony! that's one of those moments as a mom that you know you're doing the right thing, despite the hard days. I love all those pictures, especially the one of Spencer cooking in his underwear. Classic little boy cuteness! I am glad the outcome of that fire wasn't worse for your neighborhood!

jon said...

I was pretty disappointed that I didn't actually get to Gordon in his Star Wars undies.

Angie said...

What a scary, close call with that fire! And I hadn't even thought about how a power outage would mean no water... Duh. Let me know where you filled and treated your water barrels. We've got an empty one in our garage, too.