Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Ducks

Yesterday I was walking around the lake and listening to Dr. Laura on AM. During one of the news breaks, they started talking about our lake! They were saying that these news ducks that have come in (Coot Ducks) have really taken over. Gordon and I had noticed that they were new ducks, but it didn't seem like there were very many of them.

The news continued on to say that there were 500 of them! The thing that has people all riled up is their pooping regularity. I guess they poop very consistently, and when you have 500 of them pooping on the sidewalks...that equals nasty. I was talking with a lady while I was taking pictures and she said that they eat a lot of the grass that's planted around the lake, so that there is more erosion afterwards and more soil is dumped into the lake. It also mentioned that they are migratory ducks that are protected by the CA Migratory Duck Act, or something to that nature. (Seriously? I know.) So, the HOA people want to euthanize them or hunt them in the night, but people are opposing that and also because of the Act, they think it's illegal. Sad, huh?

The ducks are pretty cute at first glance, but then when you look closer, they have really beady red eyes and HUGE feet compared to their bodies. Anyhow, I decided to come back over with my camera and take a few shots of them (not with a gun, with a camera) since they may be gone soon. Poor little guys, they have no idea.



Here's a group of our usual ducks that we see. We think it's really cute when they tuck their heads in and fall asleep.


Oops, I scared them. Now they're heading out.


This is a bad picture, but these are the coots.


And here's another shot of them farther away. Maybe if you click on it, you can see them closer.

3 comments:

Jon and Becky said...

Your mom's a coot.

Stephanie said...

You should wear a duck suit and protest. Maybe you could get on the news and have another blog-worthy post ready to go!

Jon and Becky said...

I'm sorry, but you remind me of someone here and I think it's funny.