Since we have moved out here, we've been trying to take at least one little weekend trip a month to see something new. Last weekend we took a trip to Santa Monica Pier. We went down to enjoy the beach and walk along Third Street Promenade, a street where there are no cars allowed and tons and tons of shopping. In the street, there are booths and some people that hang around and do weird stuff.
This is us in the car...on the way to the beach! It's about 40 miles from our house, but it took us about an hour and a half. 
This is one of the guys on Third Street. He was just hanging out there holding this HUGE snake. Gordon got close enough for a picture...I kept my distance. Snakes freak me out.

I don't know if it's always this way...but there were a bunch of "green" people down there this weekend. Save the ozone, cut down on pollution, etc. etc. They were singing songs in costume, as seen here. After these guys, a group of middle aged women got up and sang about how "vegan is the way to be"

This is a far away shot of Santa Monica Pier. It was SOO crowded there. My sisters and I went while they were here a couple of times, but we went during the day and it was very relaxed and empty, but on the weekends apparently it's hoppin'. It was still tons of fun, even with all of the crowd. We ate at Bubba Gump's Shrimp Shack and walked along the beach. The water was freezing and it was about 65 out -- so not ideal for swimming. But, we'll be back this summer when it's warmer.

5 comments:
FUN! I wish we could take weekend trips like taht. I miss it becuase we used to do it all the time in Utah. HOpefully this summer we will start it up again. I can't wait until Steve has no responsibilities on the weekend.
Wow, it looks the same as when I went 3 years ago. The pier was packed and the live entertainment on third street was a little creepy. the stores were expensive but i did find a lucky brand outlet store there where I got denim skirts. I've always wanted to eat at Bubba Gumps. Was it yummy? They have one in San Fran too on pier 39. I guess you need to have a PIER in your town to have a Bubba Gump and Pier One Imports just won't cut it.
Haha. It WAS yummy. I'm an emerging seafood fan, just started trying it recently, but it was the best I've had yet. I had mahi-mahi with rice and vegetables, so pretty simple, but the flavors and spices they used were SO good!! And, it's just a fun atmosphere, too. You guys should come visit and try it out!
This reminds me of the trip Dad and I took with you (Chrissy) and Becky -- where we drove the coast highway north after a family reunion. One of the things we did was to eat at Bubba Gumps in San Francisco. It was a fun atmosphere and the 'bucket of boat trash' tasted good as I recall. I have fond memories of that trip -- we saw some beautiful scenery, ate some wonderful food, stayed in some fun places, and generally had a great time.
I'm glad that you two are enjoying the weekend trips. What fun.
Love, Mom and Dad
and don't forget about the nasty food I had to eat on that trip little one. It was an awesome trip, but Bubba Gump was NOT my favorite part.
-Ear lobe.
Post a Comment