Monday, November 20, 2006

And the subbing begins...

So... I survived my first day of substitute teaching. Hooray! On Friday, I had my first official job for the district. I taught a fifth grade class at a school pretty close to us. I was nervous because I've never taught a class older than 2nd grade, and I wasn't sure how to talk to them, discipline them, etc. But luckily, they were a very good class. It turned out not to be so bad and I figured out how to convert some of my "2nd grade methods" into fifth grade material.
It was also interesting to see how much more diversity there is out here compared to Utah. In Utah, I had one student who was not caucasian and he was hispanic but had lived in the states all of his life. In this classroom there were 4-5 hispanic students, 3-4 asian students and one african american student. They were good kids, and pretty fun to be with. You can joke around with fifth graders a lot easier than you can second graders, but I think my loyalty still lies with the younger grades, so far at least.

5 comments:

Steve and Katrina said...

Do you still go by Mrs. D?

GordonandChrissy said...

They all call me Mrs. Dix...there's usually a few chuckles at first if they're older, but then they get over it. I'm a pretty strict teacher, there's no funny business here! haha.

Steve and Katrina said...

How did your solo Thanksgiving dinner go? Did you guys have fun?

Todd and Meagan said...

Happy belated Turkey Day!

GordonandChrissy said...

Thanks Meagan, happy Thanksgiving to you too! And yep, our dinner went quite nicely! The turkey was yummy, now we have like ... a million pounds of leftovers. Yummm.