Monday, September 15, 2014

Back to school!

A few weeks ago, we started a new chapter in our lives - elementary school.  

And so far -- we LOVE it!


A few days before school, they posted the class lists. 
We met all of the teachers about a month ago at a kindergarten evaluation day.  They had a small assessment with each teacher (there are three) to find out where the kids stand so that all of the classes have an even split of ability levels.  After I left that meeting, I felt really good about all three teachers, but really hoped for one in particular ... and he got HER!  I was super excited. 


We had one last morning playdate with BFF Madi, before heading back to school. 


Out of order, but Daniel has learned how to listen to a CD player.  He carries it around and listens to music.  It's the cutest thing.  


Bedtime story before the first day.  :) 
They're both sporting new haircuts.  







How cute is he?! 
Our school has a uniform, which actually makes things super easy.  He doesn't seem to mind at all, and he doesn't end up wearing basketball shorts to school everyday like he did to preschool.  Ha!  


We walk to school everyday with our neighbors down the street (also in our ward, love them!) and the kids just chat and chat along the way. 


Spencer found his desk and started getting to work right away.  He was really excited to have his very own pack of huge crayons waiting for him with his name on them!



Another random insert ... 
Spencer is WAY into cars lately.  I have mentioned this on here before, I think.  He will point out every car on the road.  But, now he is learning top speeds for different kinds of cars.  For example, an Audi A6 is as fast as a GT Mustang, but not as fast as a Cobra Mustang.  Did you know that? Now you do.  :) I am learning all sorts of car facts.  

So, he became curious how many MPH he could go.  We went to the middle school track one night while dad was at scouts and I told him he had to run 4 laps for me to figure out his one mile time.  he was so positive that he could do that.  After almost one lap, he pooped out.  So, we figured out his time to be 15 minutes for a mile.  Now he knows that he can go 4 miles an hour and is SO proud of that.  He is hoping that by the time he is 12, he can go 10 miles an hour.  This has been a great tool for me to use at dinner time.  "You know, if you really want to get your MPH up, you need to eat lots of chicken and vegetables to make your body stronger and able to run faster."  Sweet. 


Every morning, we arrive at the school about 5 minutes before the bell rings.  Once the bell rings, they line up on the wall and shake their teacher's hand as they walk in the door.  The first few weeks of school, they focused on a different color every day.  She would come out of the classroom to get them each morning totally decked out in that color - shirt, pants, bow in the hair, shoes, scarves, etc.  It was like Mary Poppins emerging each morning.  The kids LOVE it and I think she is amazing.  



Now that we have TWO kids to remind us, we have been better about family scripture time each night.  Daniel will run to the cabinet and say "srrrrri, srrri" and point to the book.  :) 



I just thought this was too funny.  I laid him down to change his diaper, and when I went back to grab wipes and a diaper, I came back to find him lounging and reading a book like an old man on the pot.  Hilarious. 



I turned 30 a few weeks ago.  
The boys spoiled me and took me out to a yummy restaurant a few blocks away that we could walk to - and then we enjoyed "Nothing Bundt Cakes" little cakes for dessert!  I rounded up some friends to go out to dinner the following weekend to celebrate and they surprised me and all showed up in black with tissues and black balloons, helping me to mourn my 20's.  AH!  I was cracking up. 
I am so grateful for so many good friends nearby.  Even Angie drove down from Livermore.  Love that girl.  


We always walk TO school in the mornings, and I love walking back to pick him up.  But, we have stopped that tradition.  The afternoons were filled with "why do we have to walk??? I am SOO exhausted!" the whole way home.  For the happiness and peace of the family, we now drive to pick him up most days. :) 


Daniel and I now have a few precious hours each morning to spend together.  I try to devote a few days to just fun things for us to do- but there's always the necessary errands that need to be done.  Luckily, as long as he has a snack, he's a pretty happy shopper.  :) 


Spencer's reading is just exploding.  I am so proud of him. 
He loves reading to Daniel and will always ask him if he wants to read if he is sad.  




Happy boys at Home Depot, playing on the bags of soil.  





These boys know how to work!!!




So, on Saturday after my birthday, we really celebrated.  We rented a black Mustang and played around Saturday and then drove to the beach with it Monday.  It was SO fun!!!  Gordon and I had been talking about renting something fun for the weekend and when we saw a black Mustang at the lot, we had to do it.  A black, convertible Cobra Mustang is Spencer's dream car.  You should have seen his face when he saw it in the driveway.  Priceless.  






Mini golf with the boys and the beach on Monday.  I couldn't have asked for a better birthday.  
Being 30 is not so bad.  :) 
Thanks for spoiling me, honey.  I love you!!!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Ug, our walks home from school are torture! So. Much. Whining! Maybe I should follow your lead and screw the environment.
Thanks for keeping up on your blog! I miss you and love the chance to see all your funny pictures and hear your happy perspective on life.

crabigail adams said...

Spencer CANNOT be in kindergarten! They are such darling boys, you guys -- some of your stories sound just like those hours we spent in the nursery together! You all are loved and missed in V2! -- Shauna