Last week I set out to save us some money, and to be a little healthier with our snacks.
I decided I would make our own home-made granola bars. G and I both frequently snack on granola bars because they are hearty enough to tide you over for a bit, but also tasty.
I found a recipe online. I got the ingredients. I made them.
Oops. I forgot I had no honey. I substituted applesauce. It worked, but they were VERY bland.I made them again today. I had the honey. I think I saved some money but I know they're not healthy. These are just glorified oatmeal cookies.
But ... I like them.
Check out the recipe at the end of the post. Here are the pictures.
I decided I would make our own home-made granola bars. G and I both frequently snack on granola bars because they are hearty enough to tide you over for a bit, but also tasty.
I found a recipe online. I got the ingredients. I made them.
Oops. I forgot I had no honey. I substituted applesauce. It worked, but they were VERY bland.I made them again today. I had the honey. I think I saved some money but I know they're not healthy. These are just glorified oatmeal cookies.
But ... I like them.
Check out the recipe at the end of the post. Here are the pictures.

Some of our friends have kids that are starting the soccer season. So, we packed up our little man and went to root them on at their first game. They won - and I think we're a good luck charm. :)Spencer loves being outside and had a good time playing.

Speaking of being outside - although we only moved a block away, our new place has their own pool. It's a bit smaller, but is usually empty during the daytime. It's been fun to take Spencer over. He can sit up in this floaty and likes to splash in the water.
Spencer was giving the CUTEST smiles the other day. I had to hold the camera and look around it to get him to smile. It went something like this:Hold camera still ....
Make goofy faces at cute child ...
See the smile come ...
Hope the camera is still aligned ...
Snap the shot!
I was so bummed. What a cute face, but I cut it off because I moved my hand. Shoot.
One of Spencer's favorite places to be is in the kitchen. I used to think it was because of the braided rug I have in there, but the other day I had it out while I swept the floor and he still crawled in. He just likes to sit on the hard floor. Oh, and kiss himself in his reflection on the dishwasher and oven. I need to get a picture of that. It's hilarious. 
GRANOLA BAR RECIPE
(Adapted from: "Chewy Granola Bars" at Allrecipes.com)
(Adapted from: "Chewy Granola Bars" at Allrecipes.com)
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups rolled oats**
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon**
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup honey**
1 mashed banana**
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
Desired amount of chocolate chips or nuts
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Stir until moist. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
3. Lightly press mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 325 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
**** Because I added some ingredients, I had to cook mine for longer. I checked them at 18 minutes and then cooked them for 15 more before they were golden and ready.
3 1/2 cups rolled oats**
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon**
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup honey**
1 mashed banana**
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
Desired amount of chocolate chips or nuts
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Stir until moist. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
3. Lightly press mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 325 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
**** Because I added some ingredients, I had to cook mine for longer. I checked them at 18 minutes and then cooked them for 15 more before they were golden and ready.

4 comments:
Spencer is getting so big! What a cute boy! Henry love the kitchen too!
-Helena
I was just talking to Jared the other day wondering how hard it would be to make homemade granola bars. Now I know! Maybe I'll try out the recipe.
Spencer is so big!! He totally looks like a little Gordon.
I am definitely going to try your recipe. I've always wanted to try making my own granola bars. The recipe looks great.
Post a Comment