Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Yuck, lizards!

Since I grew up in the midwest, the only time I ever saw a lizard was on TV or in a book. We just didn't have them around at all. But, since we've moved out here I've seen several just hangin' out on the sidewalk with me. Sick. But, unfortunately the times when I actually bring my camera, of course there are none to be found...it's like they have a radar or something. Anyhow, I had a little free time this morning and decided to do some research on California lizards that are native to this area. Here's what I found...
This little guy is called a side-blotched lizard. Those of you from the west may have seen these before. I think this is probably what I have seen scurring along the sidewalk. They're really small and they live in hot, dry climates and are seen often during the daytime. Even though they're small, they still freak me out when I see them.


Okay, so this is where I get confused. This is called a legless lizard...what the heck? If it's legless, it's a snake. Am I right? I don't get it. If anyone has any insight, I'd be happy to hear it.

Here's another legless lizard. I hope I never see one of these...

15 comments:

Steve and Katrina said...

I will trade you lizards for Cicadas any day of the week. We can't wait for them to go away.

GordonandChrissy said...

Really? Cicadas are so peaceful, though. It's not a summer night until you can hear the cicadas. I got so used to them growing up. Weird...but, true.

Steve and Katrina said...

We think of Cicadas more like the noise you hear when your radio station goes out.

People say we will get used to it but I'm not so sure.

GordonandChrissy said...

You will. I notice them now when I go home since I've been gone for so long, but I don't remember ever noticing them when I lived there unless someone pointed them out. You'll become true midwesterners soon! haha.

Todd and Meagan said...

I'll take lizards over tornados, personally. Although I am not very fond of lizards either.

Todd and Meagan said...

And I agree with you, Chrissy. You get used to the cicadas.

GordonandChrissy said...

Oooh, true... lizards are much better than tornados, I agree. Did you guys have any tornados this year or warnings?

GordonandChrissy said...

Oooh, true... lizards are much better than tornados, I agree. Did you guys have any tornados this year or warnings?

Todd and Meagan said...

We haven't this summer but we had a few during the spring. I hate when the sirens go off. It freaks me out especially since we are on the top floor of our apt!

GordonandChrissy said...

I know! The sirens used to totally freak me out too when I was there. But it seems like only 1 out of a million warnings ever produced a storm. But, I guess just in case it's that 1 you have to take cover. But, I'm glad to hear you guys didn't have any this year! :)

Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

"...it seems like only 1 out of a million warnings ever produced a storm."

Didn't a tornado blow down Chrissy's town like last year?

GordonandChrissy said...

hah. There was a tornado there about ... 7 years ago, all I remember is that it took the top of the skating rink off. It wasn't too bad, but still scary. So, maybe more than 1 in a million... :)

Todd and Meagan said...

Anything new happening with you guys? What are you up to these days, Chrissy?

GordonandChrissy said...

Let's see... Gordon's still rockin' at JBL and loving it. I just got a job at JoAnn's fabric part-time. I'm going to start substituting in a couple of weeks for the school district here. We're just enjoying being here, we try and take little day trips on the weekends to see different things out here. We really miss playing games with you guys, though. It was so fun when we were just across the street and could walk over. Maybe someday... :) What's new with you guys?

Eli said...

I am Zack Davidson's (Liz's husband's) brother (AKA. Liz's brother in law). I was just browsing the links off Cody's blog and found this posting. I specialize in reptiles. There are 3 major differnces between a legless lizard and a snake:1) Lizards have eyelids. 2) Lizards have tempanums (ear canal openings). 3) Lizards have bilateral body folds (a differentiation between the lower body scales (keels) and upper body scales.

I hope this helps.
Eli Davidson